Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A tasty tomato soup for autumn from the Lion House Classics Cookbook. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch sugar (optional)
- In a stockpot or large dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp; drain and set aside, reserving bacon drippings in pot.
- Sauté celery, onion, and green pepper in bacon drippings until softened; add flour and cook for 2-3 minutes; whisk together milk and tomato soup, then pour gradually into pot and stir until smooth; add all ingredients except bacon; heat and stir over medium heat until soup is slightly thickened.
- Top with crumbled bacon and serve. Note that the soup may be pureed. I like to rough-puree mine until it is mostly smooth, but has some small pieces of tomatoes and veggies remaining.