West African Chicken Yassa
- Mix the lemon juice, the vinegar, half the oil, the onions and pour on the chicken pieces in a bowl.
- Marinate for 8 hours to overnight.
- Remove the chicken and the onions from the marinade.
- Brown the chicken on both sides.
- Fry the onions in the remaining oil for a few minutes.
- Add the marinade, thyme, hot pepper, water and bay leaves and simmer on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the sauce and cook until done and tender.
- Serve chicken and sauce over rice or couscous.