Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
For ZWT'06 This needs to marinate before cooking. Prep time does not include marinating time. Serve over rice or couscous.
- 5 lbs skinless chicken pieces, washed
- 1 1⁄4 cups lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup peanut oil
- 3 onions, sliced
- 2 sprigs thyme
- red pepper, to taste
- 2 cups water
- 4 bay leaves
- Mix the lemon juice, the vinegar, half the oil, the onions and pour on the chicken pieces in a bowl.
- Marinate for 8 hours to overnight.
- Remove the chicken and the onions from the marinade.
- Brown the chicken on both sides.
- Fry the onions in the remaining oil for a few minutes.
- Add the marinade, thyme, hot pepper, water and bay leaves and simmer on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the sauce and cook until done and tender.
- Serve chicken and sauce over rice or couscous.
We use 3 habanero peppers and 12 oz can of beer to cook our yassa and it is amazing! A simple dish, with a wonderful flavor.