West African Chicken Yassa
This Senegalese dish was cooked by Ashbell McElveen on the UK tv cooking show Good Food Live. Cooking time includes the marinating time.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 4 chicken breasts, skin on
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 fresh chili pepper, mild, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large vidalia onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 3 lemons
- 12 1⁄2 fluid ounces chicken stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Place the chicken in a bowl and squeeze in the juice of 1½ lemons.
- Add the garlic and chilli.
- Mix to coat the chicken well and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat a hot barbecue, grill, griddle or dry frying pan.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and brush it with oil.
- Place the chicken, skin-side towards the heat, on the barbecue, under the grill, on the griddle or in the pan, and cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side, until well colored and cooked through, but be careful not to let it dry out.
- While the chicken cooks, cut the onions into medium-thin slices.
- Heat a few drops of oil in a deep frying pan and fry the onions with the thyme for about 5-8 minutes until nice and brown, allowing their sweetness to come out.
- Remove the onions from the pan and set aside on a warm plate.
- Pour the juice of 1 lemon and the chicken stock into the pan, bring to the boil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow it to reduce slightly, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan to get up all the taste.
- Arrange the chicken on a plate, top with the onions and pour the lemon sauce over it.
- Garnish with the remaining lemon half and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION