1/1 Photo of Weight Watcher’s Cabbage Soup – Sweet and Sour
3 hrs 20 mins
Dorie's Lori's Note:
This was originally a WW recipe, from, I am guessing, the early 70s. I am pretty sure it has been altered somewhat, but it is super-easy and very tasty. We make it often in spite of its low calorie/low fat attributes ;-). My Nana always had a pot of it on the back burner because it was a “free” food, and boy, did the house smell good! Makes lots, but freezes well, also.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium head of cabbage
- 6 large celery ribs
- 1 lb carrot
- 4 onions
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes with juice
- 1 (46 ounce) can tomato juice (or V8)
- 6 -8 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon citric acid (sour salt)
- 4 (1 g) packets Sweet 'n Low or 4 (1 g) packets another sweetener
- black pepper
- salt, if desired (optional)
- 1Cut up all the veggies, put everything in a very large pot, cover with water, and cook at least 3 hours, until everything is very soft.
- 2Taste for seasoning – judge sour and sweet separately to see weather to add more citric acid or sweetener. I usually do add plenty more of each, until it is delicious.
- 4Don’t even bother cutting the core out of the cabbage – it cooks down with everything else and will be delicious. Really.
- 5Measurements can be approximate. Feel free to adjust for what you like or have on hand. I know I always have a glass of the juice before pouring it into the pot ;-) Speaking of the juice, I don't remember it being part of the original recipe, but I always add it for tomatoey taste and body.
- 6Sometimes, my Nana added green peppers. Her recipe also mentioned to serve with “rice and veal balls”, although I don’t actually remember her doing this. What could be bad?.
- 7When I am not on a diet, I add brown sugar instead of the sweet-and-low.
- 8Oops - I Totally had to Estimate how many servings. But this does mostly fill my 10 quart pot, and then cook off a little, so I will est. 18 servings - your mileage will vary;-).
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Weight Watcher’s Cabbage Soup – Sweet and Sour
Serving Size: 1 (292 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 69.3
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.2 mg
- Sodium 711.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 2.8 g