1/3 Photos of Weeknight Red Beans and Rice
A quick way to serve a nutritious, but delicious meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups raw long grain rice (or brown rice)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (or butter)
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (or butter)
- 1 lb smoked turkey sausage, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon red cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can diced tomato
- 2 cans red beans (or kidney beans)
- salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste
- 1Heat 1 tbsp oil or butter in medium non-stick pan (that has a lid).
- 2Add rice and stir in the hot oil until most of the kernels are opaque.
- 3Add water and bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
- 5(If using brown rice, increase water and cooking time slightly) Meanwhile dice vegetables.
- 6Heat 2 tbsp oil or butter in a large non-stick pan or Dutch oven.
- 7Add the diced onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic.
- 8Saute until tender.
- 9Add the sliced turkey smoked sausage and saute until heated through and slightly browned.
- 10Add pepper, seasoning and bay leaf.
- 11Continue to stir and saute for about three minutes.
- 12Add diced tomatoes and canned beans (do not drain).
- 13Add salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste.
- 14Simmer about 15 minutes, then remove bay leaf.
- 15Place about 3/4 cup rice in the bottom of a soup bowl.
- 16Cover with red bean mixture.
- 17Serve with French bread and pass more hot sauce.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Weeknight Red Beans and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (343 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 373.6
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 49.9 mg
- Sodium 740.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 15.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: