1/1 Photo of Weekday Black Beans and Rice
Hey Jude's Note:
My family loves this recipe and it's so easy to throw together after work. It's pretty spicy, how spicy depends on the andouille sausage that you use, mine was quite hot and so the resulting dish was spicy hot, but good. I reduced the amount of red pepper flakes to appease my family's preference. This will make your house smell as if you've been cooking, rather than out working, all day! I found this in the Chicago Tribune, the author, Donna Pierce, re-worked her Grandma's recipe to make it after-work friendly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb andouille sausage, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup rice, cooked according to package directions
- 1Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add sausage; cook until just beginning to brown, about 3 minutes.
- 2Add celery and onion; cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- 3Add garlic; cook until softened, 1 minute.
- 4Stir in beans, beef broth, chicken broth, thyme, red pepper flakes, bay leaf, mace, salt and black pepper to taste; increase heat to medium-high, heat just to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer; cook until flavors come together, about 20 minutes.
- 5Stir in cilantro and green onions and serve over rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Weekday Black Beans and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (400 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 562.3
- Calories from Fat 219
- Total Fat 24.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 43.1 mg
- Sodium 1602.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.1 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 28.2 g