A marriage made in heaven! I love Italian wedding soup, and I love Stracciatella, so when I found this recipe at "The Food of Love", it was love at first sight--or, rather, love at first bite! This is great comfort food. You can make the meatballs with ground chicken or beef or turkey or sausage. For the greens you can use either spinach or escarole. And, for the pasta you can use either acine de pepe -or- orzo. Recipe makes enough to serve 2-3 people, but is easily doubled or even tripled.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 slice white bread, crust removed
- 1/4 cup milk
- garlic clove, minced
- 6 ounces ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1Make the Meatballs:.
- 2Place the bread in a bowl and pour the milk over it. Let it soak for 5 minutes.
- 3While the bread soaks, saute the garlic in the olive oil until translucent.
- 4Add the garlic in oil, the ground turkey, the egg yolk, the parsley, and salt and pepper to the bowl. Use a fork to gently mix together--the less you handle the meat, the lighter the meatballs will be.
- 5Divide mixture into 12 equal parts and form into balls.
- 6Bring broth to a simmer and gently drop in the meatballs. Simmer 5-10 minutes, just until cooked through. Remove from the broth with a slotted spoon and set aside; keep warm.
- 7Make the Soup:.
- 8Return the broth to a boil and add the orzo. Cook for 10 minutes.
- 9When orzo is almost done, add the spinach and return the meatballs to the soup. Add parsley.
- 10For the Stracciatella:.
- 11Break the egg into a small bowl, add the water, and stir briefly. Stir in the grated parmigiano cheese.
- 12Quickly stir the soup, then drizzle in this egg-cheese mixture slowly so that the heat of the soup will quickly form the mixture into cooked strands.
- 13To Serve:.
- 14Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- 15Ladle into warmed bowls and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wedding Soup With Stracciatella
Serving Size: 1 (521 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 503.8
- Calories from Fat 205
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 238.9 mg
- Sodium 1732.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 39.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: