Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
My husband Wayne is the sushi maker in this household. I have nicknamed him Waynimoto after Iron Chef Morimoto because we like to watch Iron Chef together and Chef Morimoto is known for his sushi making skills. Here is my husband's favorite recipe for sushi. It is quite tasty ;)
- 2 cups sushi rice (Calrose Shirakiku Brand)
- 1⁄3 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- nori, cut in half (Yaki Brand)
- smoked salmon
- shrimp, halved
- carrot, julienne sliced
- sesame seeds
- poppy seed
- soy sauce
- ginger paste or pickled ginger
- Rinse rice well at least a half dozen times.
- I use a rice cooker for cooking the sushi rice. Add rice to rice cooker and fill the rice cooker to the 2 cup mark with cold water, and cook until done. If you do not have a rice cooker, cook as per directions on rice bag.
- Meanwhile, Mix rice wine vinegar, sugar and salt, together in bowl and microwave until sugar and salt are dissolved.
- When rice is cooked, place in Oke or large glass bowl. Mix lightly with rice wine vinegar mixture.
- Fan rice until completely cooled, I put mine under a ceiling fan to cool.
- Wrap bamboo rolling mat with plastic wrap.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds and poppy seeds over plastic wrap.
- Spread rice over plastic wrap, place nori sheet on top of rice.
- Lay smoked salmon on top of nori, add shrimp, avocado, cucumber, carrots and proceed with rolling.
- Slice the rolls into ½ inch pieces.
- Serve with soy sauce, ginger and wasabi.