1/2 Photos of Warr-Shu-Gai Almond Boneless Chicken
Warr Shu Gai or Almond Boneless Chicken, like chop suey, is a Chinese-inspired American dish. So far as I have been able to determine, it originated in Detroit. It was a favorite dish of my childhood there. Every Cantonese restaurant in the area serves it, but I've never been able to find it outside of Michigan. Descriptions of it to Chinese restaurant personnel elsewhere have been met with blank stares.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups Chopped mushrooms (optional)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1Prepare sauce: In a small saucepan, stir together cornstarch and water until smooth.
- 2Gradually stir in chicken broth, mushrooms (if desired), butter, soy sauce and bouillon granules.
- 3Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.
- 4Let boil 1 minute. Keep warm.
- 5Prepare batter: Beat together cornstarch, flour, baking powder, egg and water until smooth.
- 6Coat each piece of chicken with batter.
- 7Pour vegetable oil into a large skillet or wok to the depth of 1/2 inch; heat to 375 degrees.
- 8Cook coated chicken pieces in oil, turning once, until golden -- 5 to 7 minutes.
- 9Drain on pa per towels.
- 10Cut chicken diagonally into strips.
- 11Reassemble strips in chicken breast shapes and place on a bed of shredded lettuce. Sprinkle with almonds and green onion.
- 12Spoon sauce over chicken and serve immediately.
- 13Makes four to six servings.
- 14It's been some time since I last made this, but I recall that the batter seemed not quite the same, but the rest is authentic. This can also be made with duck, in which case it becomes Warr Shu Opp.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Warr-Shu-Gai Almond Boneless Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (1578 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 341.8
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 145.1 mg
- Sodium 1654.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 31.6 g