Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This came from a 1997 issue of First magazine and is my favorite way to prepare spinach salad.
Make and share this Warm Spinach Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 10 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh spinach
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vinegar, preferably white wine
- In medium skillet, heat 2 tbsp oil.
- Add garlic and cook until it begins to brown.
- Add mushrooms and continue cooking until mushrooms are lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to serving bowl: add spinach and onion.
- In same skillet heat remaining oil.
- Add basil, sugar, mustard powder, salt& pepper.
- Cook, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Add vinegar, bring to a boil.
- Pour dressing over spinach and mushroom mixture.
- Toss to coat.
- Sometimes I'll toss a handful of bacon bits on top for a little different taste.
I loved this combination of the hot mushrooms and onions with the spinach. I made this as written and I thought the dressing could have been a little better. I do love basil, but I think thyme would go better with this combination. Maybe some citrus juice as well? All in all I really enjoyed this salad and would make it again, but make some changes to the dressing. Thanx!
This was quite nice. The only substitute I used was lemon juice instead of vinegar...just a personal preference. Thanks for posting!