Recipe by Oolala
From Last Suppers, If the World Ended Tomorrow, What Would Be Your Last Meal?, James L. Dickerson. Note, the recipe said 2 platefuls of spinach so I made it 2 cups for purposes of inputting the recipe.
- 2 cups chicken broth, homemade
- 3⁄4 cup sea scallops
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups fresh spinach, cut in a chiffonade (thin strips)
- 1 avocado, sliced and sprinkled with
- lemon juice
- toasted walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat broth to a high simmer-do not boil.
- Add scallops, cover, and cook until just barely done, about 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and pour scallops and broth into a bowl that has been set into another larger bowl of ice all the way up the sides; set aside until ready to assemble salad.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine olive oil, sherry wine vinegar, mustard, and season to taste with salt and pepper; heat to simmer.
- Just before serving, remove scallops from broth and slice thinly into rounds.
- Make a bed of spinach on each of the 2 plates and arrange avocados in a star pattern on top of the spinach.
- Arrange scallops atop avocados and sprinkle with walnuts.
- Pour the hot dressing over all.
- Serve at once.