Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From "A Knockout Kabob Party", Good Food Magazine, September 1986. Prep time does not include 1 hour marinating time.
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups long-grain rice
- 3 ounces pine nuts (3/4 cup)
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- fresh ground pepper
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, quartered (about 2 cups)
- 2 medium red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 cup)
- 2 large scallions, cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces (white and green parts, about 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat 2-1/2 cups water and 1 t. salt in medium saucepan to boiling. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat to low; cook covered until water is absorbed, 10-12 minutes. Let stand covered 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast pine nuts in medium skillet over medium heat, shaking pan frequently, until golden brown, 5-7 minutes. Transfer to small bowl; let cool.
- Make dressing: Whisk oil, lime juice, mayonnaise, mustard, remaining 1 t. salt, and pepper to taste in small bowl. Pour half the dressing over warm rice and toss to coat. Add mushrooms, peppers, scallions, and half the cilantro; toss to combine. Let stand covered at room temperature 1 hour.
- When ready to serve rice salad, add remaining dressing and cilantro and the pine nuts; toss to combine.