Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This salad may be served as a salad or as a vegetable and holds up well. Adapted from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone.
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, quartered, thinly sliced
- 1 small red cabbage, quartered, thinly sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces goat cheese (or mild feta)
- 1 red apple, quartered, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup kalamata olive, pitted, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon marjoram, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, roasted (or walnuts)
- Heat the garlic, vinegar, and oil in a skillet. Add in the onion, and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the cabbage, season with 1/2 teaspoons salt, and cook over high heat, tossing constantly with tongs.
- When the leaves begiin to soften and change from red to pink, remove from the heat.
- Add the remaining ingredients and toss just enough to combine them, then remove from the heat.
- Season with plenty of pepper and serve warm. Enjoy!