Recipe by White Rose Child
This is an adaptation of an older German recipe – specifically, it's veganized! I modified it from the VegFamily website. It takes less than forty minutes, since the sauce is made while the potatoes cook. Enjoy!
Top Review by Ms.KittyBiddles
Fabulous taste! The only difference is that I boiled, peeled and sliced the potatoes, like my mother did. I thought that baking them would not give me the texture that is common with German potato salad. I will make this many times over this summer!
- 5 medium potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 -4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar or 2 tablespoons other granulated artificial sweetener
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- vegan bacon bits (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake the potatoes (microwaving is fine).
- While the potatoes are cooling, heat the oil in a skillet over medium. Add the vinegar and water, and increase the heat till this mixture is boiling. Stir in the sugar and flour, and stir constantly until it's thickened.
- Peel and chop the potatoes, and place in a serving bowl. Gently stir in the celery, onion, salt and pepper.
- Pour warm dressing over potato mixture. Sprinkle liberally with vegan bacon bits, if desired. Taste, adjust seasonings, and serve warm.