Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is an adaptation of an older German recipe – specifically, it's veganized! I modified it from the VegFamily website. It takes less than forty minutes, since the sauce is made while the potatoes cook. Enjoy!
- 5 medium potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 -4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar or 2 tablespoons other granulated artificial sweetener
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- vegan bacon bits (optional)
- Bake the potatoes (microwaving is fine).
- While the potatoes are cooling, heat the oil in a skillet over medium. Add the vinegar and water, and increase the heat till this mixture is boiling. Stir in the sugar and flour, and stir constantly until it's thickened.
- Peel and chop the potatoes, and place in a serving bowl. Gently stir in the celery, onion, salt and pepper.
- Pour warm dressing over potato mixture. Sprinkle liberally with vegan bacon bits, if desired. Taste, adjust seasonings, and serve warm.
Fabulous taste! The only difference is that I boiled, peeled and sliced the potatoes, like my mother did. I thought that baking them would not give me the texture that is common with German potato salad. I will make this many times over this summer!
Just tried your recipe (didn't have the celery though)! YOU ARE GODDESS! I'm full.