Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Walnuts, Feta, and lemon make for a great stuffed zucchini!
- 2 zucchini (about 10 inches long)
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
Cinnamon Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) canchopped tomatoes with juice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 -4 tablespoons dry sherry
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 -2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4-1 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup currants or 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1⁄3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 dash olive oil
- grated feta cheese
- fresh oregano (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise.
- With a paring knife, score the flesh about 1/2 inch deep.
- Place the cut sides down on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with the sherry and cover with foil.
- Bake for about 20 m;inutes, until yielding but still firm.
- While the zucchini bakes, make the sauce.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onions and garlic, and saute for about 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- Add the tomato paste, tomatoes, oregano, cinnamon, and sherry.
- Bring to a boil; then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and set aside.
- While the sauce simmers, prepare the filling.
- Saute the onions and garlic in the oil for about 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- In a bowl, combine the sauteed onions with the walnuts, feta, currants, and lemon juice.
- Stir in the rice.
- When the zucchini is tender, use a spoon to scoop out the flesh, leaving a thin 1/4 inch shell.
- Chop the flesh and add it to the filling.
- Mound the filling in the shells and sprinkle with seasoned bread crumbs and olive oil.
- Bake, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes, until hot.
- To serve, ladle some of the tomato sauce onto each plate.
- Place a stuffed zucchini on the sauce and top with grated feta.
- Garnish, if you wish, with oregano leaves.
Crunchy, nutty, sweet, spicy, salty. There is a lot going on in this recipe, but it is good.