Recipe by AmandaEmily
An adaptation of the Vidalia Onion Relish to use Walla Wallas and cut down on the amount of sugar used.
Top Review by zaar junkie
I halved this recipe successfully and it came out to just a tad bit more than 4 half pints. We used up the leftover immediately after cooking on some cornish game hens and it was good. Easy to make and can. Thanks for posting.
- 5 lbs onions
- 1⁄4 cup salt
- 1⁄2 quart apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon pickling spices
- 4 ounces chopped pimiento
- 1 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop onions finely by hand or in a food processor.
- Turn out into a glass bowl and add 1/4 cup of salt and allow to stand for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Drain juice from onions and discard.
- Put onions in an enameled or stainless steel pot and add vinegar, turmeric, spices (tied into cheese cloth ball), pimentos and sugar. Bring to a boil and allow to cook until onions are transparent.
- Pack onions and cooking liquid into canning jars, leaving a 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and place lids on jars according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Process jars in a water bath for 10 minutes or adjusted to your altitude.