Recipe by ladyroseofrohan
Sweet and hearty soup adapted from Vegetarian Times magazine. Serve with crusty bread.
Top Review by hideaway
Lovely soup. Just used half a can of coconut milk and didn't have leeks. Won't use pumpkin seeds next time as we didn't think they "worked" in this soup. But I'll sure make it again.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium leek
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 butternut squash (peeled and cubed into 1-inch pieces)
- 3 bartlett pears (with peel, cored, cubed into 1-inch pieces)
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 14 ounces light coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium low heat. Add leek and onion. Cook 10 minutes, stirring often, until tender.
- Add squash and pears. Saute 5 minutes. Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, add salt, and simmer 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- Remove from heat, stir in coconut milk. Puree soup in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return to saucepan and stir in thyme. Reheat over medium heat 2-3 minutes. Garnish with sumpkin seeds.