Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 mins
The original version came from my 'Essential Asian cookbook', It is full of flavour with a refreshing crunch with every bite.
- 600 g chicken thighs or 600 g chicken breast fillets
- 4 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 cup of thinly sliced celery
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 cup cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 small onion, sliced finely
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves
- 3 tablespoons of fresh mint, finely shredded
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon of crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons of chopped garlic
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted peanuts, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
- Marinate chicken in Hoisin sauce for at least 2 hours.
- Then grill or BBQ until cooked.
- Slice chicken into long thin strips.
- Combine the chicken, celery, carrot, cabbage, onion, coriander and mint in a large bowl.
- To make dressing put all ingredients into a jar and shake until sugar is dissolved.
- To make topping: Heat oil in a fry pan or wok, add garlic and stir-fry until golden, then stir in peanuts and sugar.
- Pour dressing over salad mixture and toss to combine, Place chicken salad on a serving plate and sprinkle with peanut mixture.