Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a super easy casserole that goes great with pork or chicken.
- 4 large vidalia onions (peeled and sliced into 1/8 inch thick slices)
- 3 medium apples (peeled and sliced into 1/8 inch thick slices)
- 6 slices bacon (cooked and crumbled, reserve 2 tablespoons of the fat)
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- Layer the onions, apples and bacon in a 2 quart casserole.
- Pour the chicken broth over all.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
- While baking, saute bread crumbs in 2 tablespoons bacon fat.
- Uncover casserole and sprinkle top with the toasted bread crumbs.
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes.
Excellent as written. My guess would be that if it tasted bland. the crumbs weren't sauteed in the bacon fat. Makes a lot of difference.
Okay, but fairly bland. Missing some flavor. I also found that the casserole cooked better uncovered, so I increased the cooking time by 15 min uncovered after adding the crumb topping.