Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
THIS IS A FABULOUS APPETIZER SERVED ALONE OR A MAIN COURSE SERVED OVER NOODLES. EITHER WAY IT IS REALLY GOOD!!! WE ALWAYS HAVE THEM FOR HOLIDAY SPREADS.
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup finely chpd onion
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon beef broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- MELT 1 TBS BUTTER IN SKILLET AND SAUTE ONION OVER LOW HEAT UNTIL SOFTENED.
- IN A LARGE BOWL, MIX BREAD CRUMBS GROUND BEEF AND ONIONS.
- ADD EGGS,SALT,PEPPER,NUTMEG,AND PAPRIKA.
- MIX THOROUGHLY UNTIL WELL BLENDED.
- SHAPE THE MEAT INTO SMALL BALLS, DUSTING HANDS WITH FLOUR FREQUENTLY WHILE SHAPING BALLS.
- MELT REMAINING 3 TBS BUTTER IN LARGE SKILLET OVER MEDIUM HEAT.
- ADD MEAT BALLS AND FRY UNTIL EVENLY BROWNED ON ALL SIDES.
- REMOVE BALLS FROM PAN,STIR IN 3 TBS OF FLOUR AND STIR WELL UNTIL BLENDED.
- ADD BEEF BROTH AND A BIT OF PEPPER.
- COOK, STIRRING CONSTANTLY UNTIL THICKENED.
- REDUCE HEAT TO LOW AND COOK ABOUT 5 MINUTES TO GET RID OF THE RAW FLOUR TASTE.
- STIR IN SOUR CREAM AT LITTLE AT A TIME, STIR THOROUGHLY UNTIL BLENDED WELL AFTER EACH ADDITION.
- RETURN MEAT BALLS TO PAN COVER PAN AND SIMMER FOR 5-10 MINUTES.
- SEASON TO TASTE AND SERVE IMMEDIATELY.
I would not use this recipe again. First of all, does the milk go into the meatballs themselves or the "gravy?" The recipe doesn't specify. I added it to the meatballs, but the gravy was very dry and tasted like sour cream. I had to use a bit extra butter to get it to even the slightest consistency of gravy.
Maybe I made a mistake in using 93% lean ground beef. There was very little sauce, I had to add a can of Cream of Mushroom soup.