Recipe by Chef on the coast
I received this recipe - called Sugar Cookies - in a cookbook from my mission president and his wife. It was in a family cookbook given to us as a wedding present. I call it Versatile because these make great drop cookies as well as rolled out sugar cookies. Serving sizes and yield are approximate. Who actually counts the cookies while baking? Especially if there are children present? lol Baking time does not include refrigeration time. Cooking time is also approximate for the whole batch.
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix thoroughly all ingredients.
- For drop cookies - place on cookie sheets and proceed with baking.
- For sugar cookies - chill dough at least 1 hour.
- Roll out to 1/2 inch thick on floured surface. Cut into desired shapes.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheets and bake 6-8 minutes at 350 degrees F. Bake until the bottom edges of the cookies are a very light shade of brown.
- Cool and frost with your favorite frosting.