Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Casseroles are a great way to get the family a round the dinner table over healthy food that is easy to make. Plus, it’s a great way to ensure left overs for lunches and quick dinners later in the week to save time and money. Try this Spanish style rice casserole any night of the week! This recipe was originally published on HealthyVoyager.com.
- 1 pinch saffron thread, about 20
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 4 vegetarian sausages
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 large onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pimiento
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄3 cup dry sherry or 1⁄2 cup extra-dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1⁄2 cup orzo pasta
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Put the saffron in small pot with 2 cups stock and about 1/2 cup water. Bring to boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat to low and let steep for a few minutes while you prepare the sausage and onions.
- Heat a skillet with a tight fitting lid over medium-high heat. Slice vegan sausages about 1 inch thick, on an angle. Add a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil to the hot skillet and add the slices. Brown evenly on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes total. Set aside.
- Add another drizzle of oil to the skillet along with the onions. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the pimientos and peas and stir to heat through. Deglaze the pan with sherry or wine and stir 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Return the pan to medium heat and melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the pasta and stir until deeply golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the rice and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and cook for 18 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease a casserole with the remaining 1 tablespoon of softened butter. Fill the casserole with cooked rice and top with the sausage and onion mixture. Put casserole in preheated oven, loosely covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for about until heated through and barely crispy at edges, about 10 minutes. Top with parsley and serve.
This recipe was easy and the flavor was pretty good. Thought it might have needed a little something. Maybe some crushed red pepper flakes? I added parmesan cheese to mine. Thanks for posting.
Amaaaaazing Paella recipe. Prepared that for when the whole family was back together last week-end and it was some precious moment. Best was even the day after when we had the left-overs! Kids are asking to re-do it during next vacation! Thanks for sharing.