Recipe by Denise in NH
Got this recipe at my weight watchers meeting. Only 2 points per serving. Prep time includes chilling of patties.
Top Review by ladypit
We really enjoyed these. To be completely truthful, my husband made them, but we all enjoyed eating them! We used mushrooms instead of celery and crushed fat free saltines for the bread crumbs. We doubled the recipe yet still made 4 burgers, therefore making 4 point WW burgers. However, these turned out a little bigger then we wanted. Doubling the recipe and making 6 burgers would probably have been perfect. Because we were pressed for time we stuck them in the freezer instead of the fridge to set. We were worried that they would not hold together, but they were ok. A tad crumbly, but not bad at all. We cooked them on an electric griddle and therefore avoided using some of the oil. While these had good flavor to go along with the great texture, we felt like they would benefit from some seasoning. Our current favorite is the Penzey's spice "Bavarian mix" but the possibilities are endless here. A little cumin would be nice, or any number of spice blends. Thanks for a great vegetarian casual meal.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1⁄4 cup minced green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup minced carrot
- 1⁄4 cup minced celery
- 2⁄3 cup drained white kidney beans (Cannellini)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
Directions See How It's Made
- in 8-inch nonstick skillet heat 1 tsp.
- of the oil.
- Add onion, pepper, carrot and celery; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until vegetables are soft and moisture has evaporated, about 1 minute.
- Set aside to cool slightly Using a fork, in medium mixing bowl mash beans; stir in egg.
- Add bread crumbs and vegetable mixture; mix until thoroughly combined.
- Shape mixture into 4 equal patties.
- Set patties on plate; cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 20 minutes.
- In same skillet heat 1 tsp.
- of the remaining oil.
- Add 2 patties; cook over medium heat, turning once, until browned on both sides and heated through.
- Remove patties to plate; keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining teaspoon of oil and 2 patties.