Dad the cook's Note:
I made this up when I decided to eat healthier. Its just a twist on the regular cream cheese enchilada recipe's that are everywhere. I love mexican food and spice, and this seemed a natural alternative to regular burritos or enchilada's. My children have no clue it's even somewhat healthy for them. Oh and these are Huge burrito's.
My Private Note
Big bur ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced 1/2-inch cubes about 3- 4 cups
- 1 small onion, diced about a cup
- 1 (7 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 (8 ounce) package low-fat cream cheese
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, diced or 1 (15 ounce) can salsa, could be substituted
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 -2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil, for sauteing
- 5 flour tortillas, buritto wrappers I use Mission brand 96% fat free
- cooking spray
- 1Pre-heat oven to 350 degree's.
- 2In a 10 to 12 inch skillet over medium high heat add the olive oil, eggplant and onion. Saute for about 8-10 minutes (larger pieces of eggplant will have to cook longer.) and add the mushrooms cook for another 5 minutes or until all the veggies are cooked through.
- 3Add the chopped cooked chicken and the chili powder, garlic powder and cumin. I add salt to taste here or you can do without. Next add the lite cream cheese and the green chiles. Saute until the cream cheese has melted and evrything is mixed well. Lastly fold in the tomato's or salsa.
- 4Then just divide the mix up and make your burrito's. I usually warm up the burrito wrapper in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it for folding. This will make 5 large burrito's!
- 5place burrito's in a sprayed 8x11 baking dish and bake for about 15 minutes. Then remove from oven and add the shredded cheese to the top of the burrito's and place back in the oven for another 5 mins or until the cheese melts.
- 6Lastly you can add or substitute different veggies. (we add corn or black beans) Or you can omit the chicken and just have pure veggie burrito's.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Veggie and Chicken Enchilada With Cream Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (433 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.1
- Calories from Fat 217
- Total Fat 24.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 80.0 mg
- Sodium 540.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 29.1 g