Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This appeared in Cooking Light two or three years ago.
Make and share this Vegetarian West African Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2⁄3 cup roasted peanuts
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 6 cups sweet potatoes, peeled & cut in 1 " cubes
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 sprig flat leaf parsley (optional)
- To make peanut butter, process peanuts in food processor about 2 minutes until smooth, scraping the bowl at least once.
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, sauté onion in oil about 7 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add peanut butter plus sweet potato through tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes until sweet potato is tender.
- Serve garnished with parsley.
This was good. It made a huge amount of food, and was really filling. Thanks for sharing!
This is a great soup! I added some mixed vegetables (whatever is in season) and it made a famulous dinner. Served it to 40 people for a luncheon and they raved about it!
My fiance is from west africa and a vegetarian so I thought I would give this a try. It was fabulous! Deffiantly going to make again. Thanks, Jeanie