Prep 30 mins
Cook 13 mins
from Cooking Light. You can prepare and refrigerate the filling the night before; allow it to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before assembling the taquitos.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetarian ground beef (such as Yves Veggie Cuisine)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canof chopped green chilies
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 16 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 2⁄3 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- cooking spray
- To prepare filling, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic; saute 3 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add veggie ground round and next 4 ingredients; cook 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer.
- Working with 1 tortilla at a time, use tongs to carefully dip tortilla into broth for 2 seconds; place softened tortilla on a paper towel.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon of filling across lower third of tortilla; top with 2 teaspoons cheese. Roll into a cigar-shaped bundle; place rolled tortilla on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas, filling, and cheese.
- Bake for 13 minutes or until rolls are crisp.
This was great. we used Habanero peppers and it really kicked it up a notch! Thank you so much for posting!