Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Healthy, nutritious and easy recipe
Make and share this Vegetarian Stuffed Bell Peppers recipe from Food.com.
- 118.29 ml brown rice
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4 large sweet peppers (preferably red)
- 44.37 ml canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 118.29 ml celery, finely diced
- 118.29 ml sunflower seeds
- 59.14 ml parsley, minced
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten (or equivalent egg substitute)
- 1.23 ml dried oregano leaves, crumbled
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 4.92 ml black pepper
- 118.29 ml light cheddar cheese
- Cook rice in 1-1/2 cups boiling salted water for 35 minutes or until tender.
- Drain if necessary.
- Set aside. Cut peppers in half.
- Remove seeds and white membrane. Parboil peppers in boiling salted water for 5 minutes.
- Arrange in slightly oiled, shallow 1-1/2 quart baking dish.
- Heat oil in small skillet. Add onion, celery, and sunflower seeds.
- Saute until onion is tender.
- Remove from heat. Stir into rice. Add parsley, eggs, oregano, jalapeno pepper, black pepper, and salt to taste. Fill peppers with mixture. Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Put about 1/3 cup hot water in bottom of dish.
- (I use the water used to parboil the peppers.) Bake at 400 F for about 20 minutes.
I used 3 green peppers and 1 purple for this recipe. I wanted to make this non-dairy, so made it as directed but did not include the cheese. It was bland and a little dry, so I whipped up some vegan "cheese" and it really improved the dish significantly. The sunflower seeds were great in this. Good way to use up the extra bell peppers in the fridge, but I'll probably continue to try other veggie stuffed pepper recipes to find the best one for us. I was glad I tried this recipe though. Thank you for posting - it is nice to see a veggie variation that does not include some type of fake meat.
These stuffed peppers were incredible. I've made a lot of stuffed pepper recipes, but this one was my family's favorite. The kids couldn't get enough! Made for PAC. Thanks for the yummy recipe!