Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from a recipe in the newspaper which we enjoyed! This makes a lot of sauce -- first time ever making sauce in the microwave and it came out great and quick too! The pasta took longer to cook than the sauce! Note: the original recipe called for 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning which I didn't have so I subbed 1 T basil and 1 T oregano
- 283.49 g vegetables, crumbles
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 zucchini, peeled and minced
- 8 mixed mushrooms, diced
- 283.49 g package frozen mixed vegetables
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 4.92 ml salt, divided
- 9.85 ml pepper, divided
- 14.79 ml dried basil (see note in description)
- 14.79 ml dried oregano
- 2.46 ml nutmeg, ground
- 2.46 ml cayenne pepper
- 453.59 g pasta sauce (I used sauce from the freezer so I guess-estimating it was 16 ounces but may have been more or less)
- 453.59 g jar salsa (I used medium heat salsa)
- 2.46 ml sugar substitute (Splenda)
- 340.19 g whole-wheat spaghetti (or your favorite pasta)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- Prepare pasta according to package directions while preparing sauce.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl combine first 12 ingredients (veggi crumbles - cayenne). Microwave on medium high for 5-10 minutes (I think I microed it for 8 minutes).
- Stir in pasta sauce, salsa and Splenda into mixture. Microwave covered for 10 minutes, stirring once.
- Spoon sauce over pasta and toss. Sprinkle with Parmesan if desired.
DD and I loved this sauce. I used macaroni rather than spaghetti. Any pasta would be good. I loved the spiciness that the salsa added. I would never have thought to add salsa to a spaghetti sauce. The sauce is very thick and I would probably add some tomato sauce or water as a previous reviewer did next time I make this.
WOW was this good!!!! I made it at lunchtime hoping the flavors would come together by dinner tonight, but i have to tell you that it tastes great right away! I made it as written, but subbed fresh carrots and green peppers for the frozen mixed veggies. I ended up adding 8 oz tomato sauce and about 1/2 cup water in the end because it was SO thick. Made for Veggie Swap May 2010. UPDATE: my hubby and I were raiding the fridge for lunch on Saturday and he chose the leftover spaghetti.. .and he's not a noodle guy. . . and he likes "meat" in his red sauce. . .it's that yummy.