Recipe by ellie_
Adapted from a recipe in the newspaper which we enjoyed! This makes a lot of sauce -- first time ever making sauce in the microwave and it came out great and quick too! The pasta took longer to cook than the sauce! Note: the original recipe called for 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning which I didn't have so I subbed 1 T basil and 1 T oregano
Top Review by Dreamer in Ontario
DD and I loved this sauce. I used macaroni rather than spaghetti. Any pasta would be good. I loved the spiciness that the salsa added. I would never have thought to add salsa to a spaghetti sauce. The sauce is very thick and I would probably add some tomato sauce or water as a previous reviewer did next time I make this.
- 10 ounces vegetables, crumbles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 zucchini, peeled and minced
- 8 mixed mushrooms, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon dried basil (see note in description)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 16 ounces pasta sauce (I used sauce from the freezer so I guess-estimating it was 16 ounces but may have been more or less)
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa (I used medium heat salsa)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar substitute (Splenda)
- 12 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti (or your favorite pasta)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare pasta according to package directions while preparing sauce.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl combine first 12 ingredients (veggi crumbles - cayenne). Microwave on medium high for 5-10 minutes (I think I microed it for 8 minutes).
- Stir in pasta sauce, salsa and Splenda into mixture. Microwave covered for 10 minutes, stirring once.
- Spoon sauce over pasta and toss. Sprinkle with Parmesan if desired.