Recipe by Wasyetz
When I first came across this recipe a couple of years ago they called it a "gumbo", but it really isn't. The okra plants just popped up in the garden and it reminded me that this fall there will be plenty of okra for dishes like this. A very hearty and healthy meal...
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- hot pepper sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice, uncooked, use quick cooking
- 1 (10 ounce) package okra, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot add the onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic.
- Stir and allow to cook for 3 minutes, until vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Next add the tomatoes, juice, beans, parsley, oregano, bay leaves, and hot pepper sauce to taste.
- Bring to a boil and then add the rice.
- Reduce the heat and simmer covered for approximately 15-20 minutes, until the rice becomes tender.
- Finally add the okra, cover and allow to simmer 5-10 minutes until the okra is cooked. Remove the bay leaves and serve!