When I first came across this recipe a couple of years ago they called it a "gumbo", but it really isn't. The okra plants just popped up in the garden and it reminded me that this fall there will be plenty of okra for dishes like this. A very hearty and healthy meal...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- hot pepper sauce
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice, uncooked, use quick cooking
- 1 (10 ounce) package okra, chopped
- 1Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat.
- 2When the oil is hot add the onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic.
- 3Stir and allow to cook for 3 minutes, until vegetables are tender-crisp.
- 4Next add the tomatoes, juice, beans, parsley, oregano, bay leaves, and hot pepper sauce to taste.
- 5Bring to a boil and then add the rice.
- 6Reduce the heat and simmer covered for approximately 15-20 minutes, until the rice becomes tender.
- 7Finally add the okra, cover and allow to simmer 5-10 minutes until the okra is cooked. Remove the bay leaves and serve!
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Okra Stew
Serving Size: 1 (563 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 550.1
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 982.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.2 g
- Sugars 19.5 g
- Protein 20.0 g