Recipe by gingerbread101
This is an old family recipe and is so yummy and not hard at all to make. It is also great cold for school/work lunches, left-over from the previous night's dinner. I sometimes make it at about 4pm and put it in the fridge for a few hours, before popping it in the oven later, just so it done and out of the way. Also, you can vary the vegetables added; we sometimes use pumpkin, potato, eggplant etc.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, died finely
- 1 medium onion, diced finely
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar (to take away acidic flavour of tomato)
- 1 large zucchini, roughly chopped
- 1 large head of broccoli, roughly chopped
- 2 (400 g) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock or 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheese
- 8 -10 instant no-boil lasagna noodles (depending on size of baking dish used)
- extra grated cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large pot over moderate heat. Add garlic and onions, saute until onion is soft.
- Add tomato paste, mix well, pour in tinned tomatoes and stock.
- Add vegetables to pot and bring to the boil, cooking until vegetables are just tender.
- Cover and set aside.
- In a separate saucepan melt the butter and stir in the flour, cooking over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Gradually add the milk, about a 1/4 cup at a time, whisking well between each addition to get rid of lumps. Continue until all the milk has been added.
- Heat milk sauce until it gets thick, stirring constantly.
- Take off heat and whisk in grated cheese. This will now be a thick, white sauce.
- Preheat oven to 180°C Line a baking dish with baking paper or spray with olive oil spray.
- Line the dish with a single layer of lasagne sheets.
- Scoop out about 1/2 cup of the tomato-vegetable mixture and pour over sheets.
- Top with a layer of white sauce.
- Add another layer of tomato mixture, then white sauce then lasagne sheets.
- Continue until all the tomato mixture and white sauce is used up, making sure you finish with the white sauce on top.
- Sprinkle with extra cheese put in the oven. Bake until lasagne sheets are soft and cheese is golden.
- Remove from oven and let settle for 10 minutes until serving.