Recipe by Aric Ross
This recipe uses vegetable stock instead of the traditional beef broth, creating a delicious french onion soup that is vegetarian friendly. Great for those chilly autumn days.
Top Review by PescatariYum
Nice recipe. I added a bit of garlic and cumin to it. Also, I skipped the butter to save on fat and calories and I microwaved the onions for 7 minutes or until soft and then transferred to the pan for browning with a bit of Pam spray to prevent sticking.
- 6 onions
- 60 g butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 9 cups vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- 1 French bread
- 1⁄2 cup grated gruyere or 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the onions and slice into fine rings.
- Heat the butter in a large pan, add onion and cook slowly over low heat for about 20 minutes, or until very tender.
- Add the sugar and flour and cook, stirring, for another 1-2 minutes until mixture is starting to turn golden.
- Stir in stock and simmer, covered, over low heat for 1 hour.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to moderate 350 degrees.
- Cut bread sticks into 1/2 inch slices.
- Bake 20 minutes, turning once, until the slices are dry and golden.
- Top each slice with some grated cheese and place under hot grill until cheese has melted.
- Serve soup topped with toasted cheese croutons.