Recipe by abloom69
Hearty, spicy chili so good you won't miss the meat. Don't let the long ingredient list scare you, most items are probably in your cupboard and it can be made and served within the hour.
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 3⁄4 cup Bulgar wheat
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups kidney beans, undrained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine, can use white
- 2 tablespoons canned diced green chiles
Directions See How It's Made
- Have all ingredients ready. I mix all spices together in a small bowl ahead of time.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over high heat, add onions, celery, green peppers, carrots, garlic, mushrooms, spices, salt and pepper. Cook stirring for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes uncovered.
- If too thick, chili can be thinned with tomato juice.