A meatless vegetable, lentil and tofu burger that has awesome texture and tastes great, too. Size of burgers is optional. Make small ones and eat like "nuggets" as a snack food or appetizer. They can also be pressed onto a bamboo skewer or pop-stick for a veggie sate effect. I have been cooking professionally for 25+ years and I tend to write recipes that have a lot of leeway and variation built into them. I apologize. The most important thing about this recipe is this: After the "batter" has chilled, if it is not a bit heavy and paste like, you need to add more flour, or even some fresh or dried whole wheat bread crumbs. Egg rings are also good to use to help form them into shape. Once you have cooked them they may be frozen and then defrosted. You can also put them onto a BBQ after the first cooking to give them a BBQ taste. This stuff is pretty much bullet proof, so have some fun with it. Don't tell your kids they are healthy and you might be surprised at the reaction when they do eat them. I have also breaded and fried them after cooking once and then prepared them Parmesan style with mozzarella cheese and tomato sauce with a side of pasta. And, I have stuffed them into burritos, too. Again, use your imagination and enjoy. Bean appetite!
My Private Note
or more ...
Units: US | Metric
- 200 g onions, diced
- 50 g leeks, diced
- 50 g spring onions, diced
- 28 g garlic, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- any other vegetables (mushroom, okra, bell pepper, chile, sun-dried tomato, some may need to be steamed first to tender)
- 454 g brown lentils, cooked
- 660 g silken-soft tofu
- 4 tablespoons soya sauce
- 5 tablespoons cumin powder
- 350 g whole wheat flour
- 1Combine all ingredients and 2/3 of the cooked lentils in a food processor and puree. Reserve 1/3 of the lentils whole.
- 2Remove puree and add whole lentils.
- 3Add flour, Adjust consistency with more flour if too wet.
- 4Chill “batter” at least 20 – 30 minutes until firm. Can sit for a day no problem.
- 5Cook on a hot WELL OILED Teflon or cast iron pan or griddle buy dropping like biscuit batter and then forming into burger patties with a spatula. Make them as big or small as you like. (You can even make them into hot dog/sausage configure and cook like that, too.) When its time to turn them over, turn and press sides back into burger.
- 6Cook until done.
- 8Eat or Freeze.
- 9To Serve:.
- 10Microwave or let stand until defrosted if you froze them.
- 11Grill or microwave until hot through.
- 12Top with cheese if desired.
- 13Finish like a meat burger and garnish with veggies, lettuce, tomato and onion. Serve with coleslaw, french fries and pickles.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian-Bollywood Lentil Burgers and Nuggets
Serving Size: 1 (1966 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 355.2
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 424.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.5 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 22.7 g