Top Review by ellie_
Very easy-to-make light dish for a very busy day. This was so easy to put together and stick in the frig and pop it in the oven at the end of the day. We served it with a tossed salad for a complete light supper. Thanks Evelyn for sharing this simple-to-make dish.
- 5 slices white bread, buttered generously on one side
- 1⁄2 lb grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mushroom
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter an 8 inch square baking pan.
- Cut bread into ½ inch cubes and distribute evenly in pan.
- Top with cheese.
- Toss vegetables together and distribute over cheese.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, mustard and salt and pour over vegetables.
- Chill, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 340 degrees F.
- Sprinkle basil and pepper to taste over strata.
- Put in larger baking pan and pour in enough hot water to come halfway up sides.
- Bake in middle of oven for 1 hour, or until top is golden.