Cook1 hr 30 mins
I have a 10 year old grandson who would rather eat soup for dinner then anything else.. AND it doesn't matter what kind of soup. So I get to use him as a taster and he knows the star system. He said this was a keeper for sure. You are welcome to use more garlic or spice depending on your taste, but this way is good. One good size eggplant should cover both the soup and the dumplings. Time does not include draining time for eggplant.
- 1 1⁄2 cups eggplants (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion (cut in half, then quarter)
- 4 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons wine
- 4 cups water
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can garbanzo beans (mash half of them)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes (changed from whole tomatoes..I agree with the reviewer)
- 3 celery ribs (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 2 carrots (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 sweet pepper (any color, cut in half, remove seeds, cut in slices)
- 2 cups green beans (cut diagonally into 1 inch pieces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup eggplant (chopped about pea size)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
SPRINKLE ON TOP
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese
- Peel eggplant, cut all eggplant into 1 inch cubes, sprinkle with salt.
- Put in a strainer to drain for an hour, then dry with paper towel. Put aside 1/2 cup for dumplings.
- Heat large pot and add olive oil.
- Add eggplant (all except the 1/2 cup), onion, garlic and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add wine and reduce for 30 seconds.
- Add water.
- Stir in all garbanzo beans.
- Stir in remaining soup ingredients.
- Bring to boil and reduce heat to simmer, until all vegetables are tender.
- Heat small pan on stove. Add olive oil.
- Saute eggplant for 3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Mix flour, salt, baking powder, and milk in a bowl.
- Blend in eggplant and oregano.
- Using a tablespoon, drop spoonfuls onto simmering soup, about 12 dumplings.
- Keep in mind that the dumplings will expand as they cook.
- Cook 15 minutes uncovered, 15 minutes covered.
- Serve in bowls, sprinkle with feta cheese.