1/1 Photo of Vegetable Soup With Eggplant (Aubergine) Dumplings
1 hr 30 mins
I have a 10 year old grandson who would rather eat soup for dinner then anything else.. AND it doesn't matter what kind of soup. So I get to use him as a taster and he knows the star system. He said this was a keeper for sure. You are welcome to use more garlic or spice depending on your taste, but this way is good. One good size eggplant should cover both the soup and the dumplings. Time does not include draining time for eggplant.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups eggplants (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion (cut in half, then quarter)
- 4 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons wine
- 4 cups water
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can garbanzo beans (mash half of them)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes (changed from whole tomatoes..I agree with the reviewer)
- 3 celery ribs (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 2 carrots (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 sweet pepper (any color, cut in half, remove seeds, cut in slices)
- 2 cups green beans (cut diagonally into 1 inch pieces)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dry basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup eggplant (chopped about pea size)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
SPRINKLE ON TOP
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese
- 2Peel eggplant, cut all eggplant into 1 inch cubes, sprinkle with salt.
- 3Put in a strainer to drain for an hour, then dry with paper towel. Put aside 1/2 cup for dumplings.
- 4Heat large pot and add olive oil.
- 5Add eggplant (all except the 1/2 cup), onion, garlic and saute for 3 minutes.
- 6Add wine and reduce for 30 seconds.
- 7Add water.
- 8Stir in all garbanzo beans.
- 9Stir in remaining soup ingredients.
- 10Bring to boil and reduce heat to simmer, until all vegetables are tender.
- 12Heat small pan on stove. Add olive oil.
- 13Saute eggplant for 3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- 14Mix flour, salt, baking powder, and milk in a bowl.
- 15Blend in eggplant and oregano.
- 16Using a tablespoon, drop spoonfuls onto simmering soup, about 12 dumplings.
- 17Keep in mind that the dumplings will expand as they cook.
- 18Cook 15 minutes uncovered, 15 minutes covered.
- 19Serve in bowls, sprinkle with feta cheese.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetable Soup With Eggplant (Aubergine) Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (594 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 399.7
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 7.0 mg
- Sodium 2192.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.9 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 12.3 g