Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I blush to admit it, but I pulled this off of the box of Riso Baricella arborio rice ... but, hey! It's from Italy! :-) More importantly, it's good ...
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup portabella mushroom, finely chopped
- 1 cup baby green pea, frozen and thawed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, top quality and freshly grated
- Bring broth to a simmer in a saucepan.
- In separate heavy saucepan, melt two tablespoons of butter with olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions, carrots, and mushrooms, and saute for five minutes.
- Add rice and cook, stirring constantly, for two minutes.
- Add one cup of the broth and cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed.
- Add the peas and another cup of warm broth and cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed.
- Add another cup of broth and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until absorbed; continue this process until all the broth is used. (They say it takes about 15 minutes, but it'll be creamier if you stretch it out to 20-25 minutes.).
- Add salt, basil, Parmesan, and remaining tablespoon of butter. Stir for two minutes to make sure cheese is fully incorporated and melted.
- Note: I use such a heaping amount of Parmesan that it's probably closer to a half-cup -- and it's all the better for it!
Very good and very pretty. I especially liked the fresh basil flavor. I took your advice and used a heaping amount of Parmesan cheese. Thanks for posting.