I blush to admit it, but I pulled this off of the box of Riso Baricella arborio rice ... but, hey! It's from Italy! :-) More importantly, it's good ...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup portabella mushroom, finely chopped
- 1 cup baby green pea, frozen and thawed
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, top quality and freshly grated
- 1Bring broth to a simmer in a saucepan.
- 2In separate heavy saucepan, melt two tablespoons of butter with olive oil over medium heat.
- 3Add the onions, carrots, and mushrooms, and saute for five minutes.
- 4Add rice and cook, stirring constantly, for two minutes.
- 5Add one cup of the broth and cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed.
- 6Add the peas and another cup of warm broth and cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed.
- 7Add another cup of broth and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until absorbed; continue this process until all the broth is used. (They say it takes about 15 minutes, but it'll be creamier if you stretch it out to 20-25 minutes.).
- 8Add salt, basil, Parmesan, and remaining tablespoon of butter. Stir for two minutes to make sure cheese is fully incorporated and melted.
- 9Note: I use such a heaping amount of Parmesan that it's probably closer to a half-cup -- and it's all the better for it!
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetable Risotto
Serving Size: 1 (323 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 349.0
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 18.9 mg
- Sodium 1034.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 10.7 g