Recipe by English_Rose
If you're looking for a simple supper dish with no fuss but lots of flavour try this Vegetable Rice. Kids love it and its a great way of getting themn to eat their veggies!!
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces butter
- 6 ounces streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 7 ounces carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 1⁄2 ounces mushrooms (chestnut have a good flavour)
- 1 bay leaf
- 14 ounces white rice (preferably basmati)
- 14 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 4 1⁄2 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 4 1⁄2 ounces fresh peas
- 7 ounces broccoli florets, blanched
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Place a non-stick casserole (or oven-proof pan) over medium heat on the hob. Heat the olive oil and butter and sweat off the bacon, onion, garlic, carrots, mushrooms and bay leaf for 6-10 minutes until softened.
- Add the rice, stir to combine and then pour in boiling water, at a ratio of two cups of water to each cup of rice (this is called the absorption method) so for 2 cups of rice you'll need 4 cups of water. Cover the saucepan and place in oven for 30 minutes or until the rice is al dente.
- Remove from the oven and add the canned chopped tomato and the spinach, folding them into the rice. Fold in the peas and broccoli florets and allow to heat through over a gentle heat on the hob for a few minutes.