Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a flavorful side dish. I usually serve it with roasted chicken or Italian sausages. Makes plenty so there is some leftover for lunch.
- 2 (14 ounce) cansitalian seasoned chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried orzo pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 fresh garlic clove, finely minced
- chopped fresh parsley (a generous handful)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 fresh lemon
- parmesan cheese
- extra virgin olive oil (I use about a tablespoon)
- Cook orzo in chicken broth until tender (add water if necessary).
- Sauté the the vegetables in butter until tender adding the garlic near the end to prevent burning.
- This is where I usually add a little salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Drain the orzo and combine with the cooked vegetables and add the chopped parsley.
- The heat of the other ingredients will wilt the parsley.
- Stir in the juice of the 1/2 lemon and olive oil if desired.
- Serve with grated Parmesan.
Tasty! We added another pepper and used fresh mushrooms.
LOVE IT, had to tweak a little for what I had on hand but this is a recipe I will save and reuse again. I like it when a recipe is a little flexible and this one gets 10 stars in my book. Thank you for posting!
Nice side dish. I used fresh mushrooms and regular chicken stock with some Italian herbs. :)