MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This was my mother's and grandmother's recipe for using Cucuzza. It contains no meat but I sometimes add good Italian Sausages. Another good addition is wide green beans. This will serve 4 or 2 hungry Italians!
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 large cucuzza squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch slices
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes with juice
- 6 large basil leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 6 large eggs
- Heat oil in a 6 quart dutch oven. Saute Cucuzza, onions, garlic and peppers until translucent or about 5 or 6 minute Add the can of tomatoes and the juice and continue cooking on medium heat until it comes to a low simmer. Add the basil salt and pepper.
- Crack each egg onto the top of the stew. Be sure the mixture is at a low boil, then cover and cook until the yolks are hard.
- Serve with a fresh crusty bread.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION