Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced thin
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 1 lb cremini mushroom, trimmed and sliced
- 2 lbs firm tofu, drained
- 1 cup egg whites or 1 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 4 medium zucchini, shredded
- 12 ounces soy cheese, grated
- roasted tomato salsa
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, cored
- 1 large onion
- 2 shallots, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and pepper and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- In food processor, process tofu until smooth.
- Add egg whites, vinegar and basil; process until blended.
- In large bowl, combine mushroom mixture, tofu mixture, zucchini and soy cheese and mix with rubber spatula.
- Lightly coat inside of 9-inch deep-dish quiche pan with cooking spray.
- Spread mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake until frittata is firm and top is lightly golden, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, make salsa: Lightly coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Arrange tomatoes, onions and shallots on prepared sheet.
- Place in oven with frittata.
- Bake until tomato skins brown and blister, about 45 minutes.
- In food processor or blender, process roasted vegetables and 1/4 teaspoon salt until smooth.
- Pour sauce into medium saucepan.
- Heat over low heat until simmering.
- Pour into serving bowl and spriinkle with chives.
- Serve hot with frittata.