Top Review by Crocheting Mama
This was my first experience with couscous (I used whole grain). I enjoyed the end result of this recipe. I used chicken broth in place of the water. I omitted the mushrooms. My comments are mainly around the amounts called for - I ended up with tons of onion because I used 1 onion that was rather large. I would like to see amounts (1 cup onion, 2 cups chopped zucchini...) and also, I had no idea what "chili" was - chili powder? I used crushed red pepper flakes and that ended up being WAY too spicy. I enjoyed the method of cooking couscous though and will try it again, possibly with other vegetables.
- 1 small zucchini or 1 medium zucchini
- 1⁄4 large red capsicum
- 4 -5 large button mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili (or to your taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 2⁄3 cup couscous
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup boiling water
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop the onion.
- Cut zucchini & capsicum into small cubes.
- Slice mushrooms.
- In a saucepan, cook onion, garlic & chili in the olive oil until translucent.
- Add remaining vegetables and the cumin, salt & pepper.
- Cook for about 5 minutes until tender, stirring to cook evenly.
- Add water and allow it to come to the boil.
- Add couscous, stir through, turn off heat & cover & leave for 5 minutes.
- Give it a stir with a fork to fluff it up a bit & serve as a side dish.