Recipe by Impera_Magna
My mother never made soup from scratch so I never learned how. After trying a number of soup recipes from Zaar, I came up with this recipe as a guideline for a basic veggie beef soup. I often throw in whatever veggies I have around so the soup is never exactly the same two times running; however, soup-making isn't an exact science as is baking. I'm posting the recipe so that I can give it out easily; evidently, folks seem to really like it!
Top Review by bmcnichol
This was good and easy to make. I followed the recipe as written other then I didn't have celery. I used a large can of tomato juice and added three beef cubes to it but no extra water. I didn't have fresh veggies so I used a can of potatoes, carrots, peas, corn, green beans and veg all. My family thought it could have used a bit more seasoning but we all enjoyed it. Hubby put some old bay in his and thought that made it "excellent".
- 1 lb ground round
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce or 2 cups tomato juice or 3 cups v 8 vegetable juice
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans condensed beef broth
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can cut green beans, drained
- 3 cups vegetables, of choice (yellow corn, shoe-peg corn, lima or butter beans, green peas, large potato, peeled and diced, whatev)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown meat in large pot along w/ onions, celery, and carrots.
- Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30-45 mins til veggies and barley are done.
- Note #1: I’ve been adding ½ cup pearl barley to the soup, which will be done in the amount of simmering time. Quick barley takes only 10 minutes to cook so you could add later.
- Note #2: I’ve found that adding pasta, while good at first, it continues to absorb the soup liquid and get really big and the soup becomes more like a stew. If you’d like noodles, I would cook them separately and add them to the bowl just before ladling in the soup.
- Note #3: You could also add rice, if you would like.