Prep 25 mins
Cook 55 mins
A nice change from rice or potatoes, with the added benefit of extra fiber. This recipe is from Light and Tasty.
- 3 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 4 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups pearl barley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large non-stick skillet, saute the peppers, mushrooms, and onions in butter until tender.
- Transfer to a 13-inch by 9-inch by 2-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Stir in the broth, barley, and pepper.
- Cover and bake at 350F for 50 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
Fantastic recipe! My entire family loved it. I used olive oil instead of butter. Will make often!
This is a very nice alternative to rice. I ommitted the onion and used seasoning instead and added some fresh brocoli florets. It makes a lot which is good for a family of 4!
The only time I used barley was to make soup.This is a great way to make a meal with it.It's good and it's filling.Instead of butter I used canola oil and cut it down to 1 cup of barley.I wish I would have discovered this recipe many years ago when I was feeding my 4 sons who were always hungry!!! Thank so much for posting;I will be making this again;my DH also really enjoyed it. Sage/Rita I made this again; started off with 1 pd ground turkey and ended up with a complete meal.I highly recommend this recipe! Rita