Whole Wheat Banana Flax Muffins
photo by Stephanie G.
- Ready In:
- 3 large bananas
- 3⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 egg
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- Pre-heat oven to 200c (380f).
- Mash bananas, then mix in flax and egg.
- Stir the dry ingredients together then add to the banana mix.
- Add enough milk to wet the ingredients - this will depend on your bananas.
- Spoon into lined muffin tray and bake for 20 minutes.
- You can also add blueberries or dark chocolate chips or nuts to make a little change.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I was quite skeptical when I saw that these only required the oven to be heated to 200 degrees, but then I read the two prior reviews and figured I'd give it a shot. Well, I was right: Baking these for 20 minutes at 200 was nowhere near enough heat or time. They were still practically batter. I upped the temp to 350 and cooked them another 10 minutes and managed to salvage them. All in all it's a good basic healthy muffin recipe that you can easily tweak to be vegan by subbing applesauce or some other fruit for egg. I added cinnamon, nutmeg, a couple of tablespoons of semisweet chocolate chips and a couple of tablespoons of cashews. I will likely make these in the future, but will have to play around with temperature and cooking time.
First off, for the previous reviewer who gave this recipe a low rating because the baking temp. was too low-the recipe states 200 C. That is centigrade, not Fahrenheit. It is 380F. Now back to my review. These are delicious and can't believe they are so low in fat. I made one change. I don't like splenda so subbed sugar ( a little less than called for). Will be making these again. made for Spring 2014 PAC.
see 2 more reviews