Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This was an experiment in my kitchen that turned out even better than I hoped! Substituting bananas for the egg that would be in a typical recipe and applesauce for the oil makes this recipe super healthy, moist, yummy, and vegan; although I am not vegan myself, I will make these often!
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2 cups applesauce
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 1⁄4 cups mashed bananas or 2 medium bananas
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup golden raisin (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Prepare muffin pans with preferred method.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix apple sauce, pineapple, banana, and vanilla extract.
- Create a well in the dry ingredients and add the pineapple mixture until well incorporated. Add the zucchini, walnuts,raisins, and coconut. Mix well.
- Fill each muffin cup about 2/3 full. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.