Recipe by Sharon123
From The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions, this has the flavor of pepperoni without the meat! Use to top a pizza, stuff a calzone, or wherever you use pepperoni. I may try making this with tofu too, crumbling it and adding spices, oil and liquid smoke(leaving out water).
- 1 cup dry textured vegetable protein (TVP granules)
- 1 teaspoon- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper (depending on how much heat you want)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon anise seed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or dried chipotle powder-more or less to heat preferred)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix spices together with TVP.
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan, add in the 2 tbls. oil and liquid smoke, stir into TVP and spice mixture, cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
- (Or if you prefer to use a microwave:.
- In a microwave safe bowl, mix together TVP with all of the herbs and spices.
- Stir in water, oil and liquid smoke.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and microwave on high for about 6 minutes.
- Carefully remove from microwave, and allow to cool enough to handle.).
- Fluff with a fork and use to top your pizza, or stuff a calzone, or wherever you want pepperoni flavor.