Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
These cookies are the ultimate ginger cookies with a nice spicy bite from the ginger and a rich molasses body. That they happen to be vegan is just a bonus. From Vegan with a Vengence!
- Sift dry ingredient (except sugar) into a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine wet ingredients, including sugar and whisk or beat on medium until blended.
- Stir in the pre-sifted dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- The dough will be quite sticky and you may need to dampen your hands to work with it. Roll the dough into little balls (about 1 Tablespoon) and flatten out to your liking.
- The thinner the cookie the crisper it will be - a slightly thicker cookie will yield a crunch on the edges and a slightly chewy interior.
- Press the coarse sugar onto the tops of the cookies and bake about 10 minutes at 350 on a greased cookie sheet.
With a few modifications... AMAZING... First, cook for only 5-6 minutes to acheive that "chewy in the middle and crispy on the outside texture". I always wait till that shiny/wet look is gone from the center/top of the cookie before I remove them from the oven. After removing, leave cookies on the cookie sheet for 3-5 minutes before moving to a plate b/c cookies will continue to cook even after you remove them from the oven. Second, LESS ginger... it's just a little overpowering and you could probably be okay with 1.5 to 2 Tbsp of ginger. Third, skip the coarse sugar and once the cookies are cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar (using a sifter if you can).
Outstanding. I was skeptical when I read the other rave reviews, but I have to admit these cookies are pretty great. I substituted a little bit of maple syrup for the molasses, and traded off a little white sugar for brown sugar. I also used the 1 1/2 tablespoon of ginger after reading the other reviewers but decided to add a little candied ginger. I like spicy ginger cookies so I think they could even be a touch spicier. I sprinkled a little vanilla bean sugar on the top before I baked them . Very nice.
So amazingly good. I can't inagine why you would even need dairy products in this! It's perfect as-is and was liked by both vegans and non-vegans :o)