Recipe by Kimke
These cookies are the ultimate ginger cookies with a nice spicy bite from the ginger and a rich molasses body. That they happen to be vegan is just a bonus. From Vegan with a Vengence!
Top Review by gwenfatfreevegan
With a few modifications... AMAZING... First, cook for only 5-6 minutes to acheive that "chewy in the middle and crispy on the outside texture". I always wait till that shiny/wet look is gone from the center/top of the cookie before I remove them from the oven. After removing, leave cookies on the cookie sheet for 3-5 minutes before moving to a plate b/c cookies will continue to cook even after you remove them from the oven. Second, LESS ginger... it's just a little overpowering and you could probably be okay with 1.5 to 2 Tbsp of ginger. Third, skip the coarse sugar and once the cookies are cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar (using a sifter if you can).
- 4 tablespoons coarse sugar (turbinado or demerrera or "sanding" sugar)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup soymilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift dry ingredient (except sugar) into a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine wet ingredients, including sugar and whisk or beat on medium until blended.
- Stir in the pre-sifted dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- The dough will be quite sticky and you may need to dampen your hands to work with it. Roll the dough into little balls (about 1 Tablespoon) and flatten out to your liking.
- The thinner the cookie the crisper it will be - a slightly thicker cookie will yield a crunch on the edges and a slightly chewy interior.
- Press the coarse sugar onto the tops of the cookies and bake about 10 minutes at 350 on a greased cookie sheet.