1/1 Photo of Vegan Cheesy Rice & Cabbage Casserole
1 hr 15 mins
I took a simple cabbage recipe that I found on a vegan website and spruced it up to add more "substance". This takes less than 20 minutes to throw together, so on busy nights I love to prepare this - it's very warm & cheesy and so it's the perfect comfort food. Plus, it's almost a 1-dish meal, though I like mine with a small baked potato & some corn on the cob on the side. I don't think any vegan cheeses come close to "Follow Your Heart" because it's so tasty and melts very well - any other substitutions I've used have not been as successful.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
You will need
- 3 cups cabbage
- 8 ounces fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons Braggs amino acids
- 4 ounces ground vegan sausage
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice (already cooked)
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups vegan nacho cheese (Use Follow Your Heart, it melts!)
- 1 cup diced baby portabella mushrooms
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup organic whole-wheat crunchy breadcrumbs
- 1 organic carrot, shaved
- cayenne pepper
- 1Chop ½ of a head of cabbage up into thin strips and place (uncooked) in the bottom of a lightly greased casserole dish.
- 2Sautee mushrooms, garlic, cayenne pepper, oregano & sausage in the Braggs amino acids on medium-high heat until the mushrooms start to soften. Layer on top of the cabbage.
- 3Layer ½ cup nacho cheese on top of the mushrooms/sausage mixture.
- 4In same pan, add canola oil and the onion. Add salt to taste. Cook until onions are translucent. Add it on top of the cheese layer.
- 5Mix the nutritional yeast with the rice, and then layer the rice on top of the onions.
- 6On top of the rice, layer the entire shaved carrot.
- 7On the carrot, layer the fire roasted tomatoes.
- 8Add the bread crumbs on top of the tomatoes.
- 9Add the rest of the nacho cheese, spread evenly, on top of the bread crumbs. Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- 10Cook at 350 for 55 minutes; then broil for 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Cheesy Rice & Cabbage Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (207 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 525.2
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 16.4 mg
- Sodium 558.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 15.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Braggs amino acids