Recipe by ajball
I took a simple cabbage recipe that I found on a vegan website and spruced it up to add more "substance". This takes less than 20 minutes to throw together, so on busy nights I love to prepare this - it's very warm & cheesy and so it's the perfect comfort food. Plus, it's almost a 1-dish meal, though I like mine with a small baked potato & some corn on the cob on the side. I don't think any vegan cheeses come close to "Follow Your Heart" because it's so tasty and melts very well - any other substitutions I've used have not been as successful.
Top Review by Shannon C.
We adjusted this recipe to include real cheese, tofu and our favourite tofu marinade. Thanks so much for the inspiration of the recipe - it is a keeper for sure. Here is the link to our recipe created from yours! http://www.shannoncrow.com/vegetarian-cheesy-cabbage-casserole-with-tofu/
You will need
- 3 cups cabbage
- 8 ounces fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons Braggs amino acids
- 4 ounces ground vegan sausage
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice (already cooked)
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegan nacho cheese (Use Follow Your Heart, it melts!)
- 1 cup diced baby portabella mushrooms
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup organic whole-wheat crunchy breadcrumbs
- 1 organic carrot, shaved
- cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop ½ of a head of cabbage up into thin strips and place (uncooked) in the bottom of a lightly greased casserole dish.
- Sautee mushrooms, garlic, cayenne pepper, oregano & sausage in the Braggs amino acids on medium-high heat until the mushrooms start to soften. Layer on top of the cabbage.
- Layer ½ cup nacho cheese on top of the mushrooms/sausage mixture.
- In same pan, add canola oil and the onion. Add salt to taste. Cook until onions are translucent. Add it on top of the cheese layer.
- Mix the nutritional yeast with the rice, and then layer the rice on top of the onions.
- On top of the rice, layer the entire shaved carrot.
- On the carrot, layer the fire roasted tomatoes.
- Add the bread crumbs on top of the tomatoes.
- Add the rest of the nacho cheese, spread evenly, on top of the bread crumbs. Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Cook at 350 for 55 minutes; then broil for 5 minutes.